Sunday, July 25, 2010

Oxford to Metaire, Louisiana

I left Oxford today at 4:00 p.m. on my way down to Metairie, Louisiana to start my new internship. For the next month I will be working in Marketing and Operations for the New Orleans Saints Pro Training Camp.

I stopped along the way and had dinner in Jackson, all the while changing from 85 mph to 20 mph along the interstate due to the ridiculous downpour that made it to central and northern Mississippi from the recent tropical storm that just hit the coast a few days ago.

Upon entering into Metairie, I finally made it to my hotel, The Extended Stay America, Metairie, Louisiana. I would HIGHLY SUGGEST that you NOT visit this hotel. I get there and it's attached to an IHOP (so you know the fat kid was really happy about it at first) and then I realized that there were bars over all oft he windows. I walked in the front door to find nearly 30 Metairie residents who actually lived in this Extended Stay. Definitely not just staying for a week, but more like an actual living situation -- long term. They were all hanging out and smoking in there when I found the front office. Well, yeah, that was locked and covered in bars and no one was in there. Just great. I walked down the hall to look around, all the while acting like I knew what I was doing because of all the actual residents sitting in the room. That's when I noticed the 1982 carpet that hasn't been vacuumed since it was put in.

I crossed the street and finally found a Holiday Inn. I talked to the guy at the front counter and he hooked me up with a major discount on the room for the evening after telling him about the Extended Stay along with why I was in town. Definitely enjoy my new room at the Holiday Inn. I've got to call Diane in the morning to talk to them about what kind of deal I can get worked out with me staying here.

I decided to go to the bar downstairs for a drink but it was already closed, so I got in my car to drive around for a few minutes. Decided to go straight across the high way and it looked promising but then I looked up and saw the Lake Pontchartrain Causeway that I was entering. Crap. I was entering on to the 22 mile long bridge across the biggest lake in the tri-state area. I was on the phone with Richard of course telling him about the Extended Stay situation and then missed the first cross-over point on the bridge. Yeah, bad idea. Next cross-over point - 10 miles. Finally made it to that one and headed back to Metairie.

Found the Saints "compound" which looks like it's going to be incredible. It's 4 miles from my hotel and it looks like the Ole Miss Indoor Practice Facility and practice fields - times 10. It's going to be incredible. Definitely can't wait to see it in person.

Tomorrow night we have our Orientation meeting at Theo's in downtown New Orleans. I think it'll help with the breaking-the-ice with all the interns. 8 AM tour of the facility on Tuesday morning. Definitely can't wait.

Until next time,

Blake



1 comment:

  1. You left without buying lunch! Have fun and have a beignet for me.
    pat

    ReplyDelete